If you’re thinking about building a custom home in Tallahassee, you’re probably wondering whether it’s worth the extra expense. Custom homes tend to cost more than new homes being built by land developers, given that they require more time, money, and skill to build. They also cost more than previously built homes, as many of these properties have aged or experienced problems with flooding, plumbing issues, electrical problems, and the list goes on. At the end of the day, it’s worth it to invest in a custom-built home that is created from scratch with your wants, needs, and lifestyle in mind.
Vanguard North has been the premier custom home builder in Tallahassee for more than 35 years, and we’ve had the pleasure of bringing many homeowners’ dreams to life over the last few decades. Our general contractor is recognized as one of the best custom home builders in the area, with many glowing reviews to show for it. If you are looking to build a house in Tallahassee and need a team of custom home builders to take on your project, contact us today!
Cost Of Custom Home Building
The cost of custom home building depends on a number of factors, including the size and location of the lot you plan to build on, the building materials, and the labor needed to complete the job. Here’s what you’ll need to consider:
- Inspections, fees, and architectural work. First things first, you’ll need to buy the land and arrange for the necessary site work before you break ground on the home building process. The cost of these initial steps can add up, but they are all essential pieces of the puzzle. For example, you’ll need to get a building permit, have the property inspected for water and sewer lines, and hire an architect to create the blueprints of your custom home design.
- Excavation and foundation. Once you’ve gotten the building permit and have had the property inspected, it’s time to lay the foundation for your custom home according to the plan your architect has created. The cost of this stage will include excavation (removing trees, boulders, etc.) and pouring the concrete that will serve as the foundation of your new home.
- Framing. Next, your custom home builders will get started on the framing process. This phase includes framing all the walls, doorways, and windows, as well as framing the roof, placing the trusses, and installing sheathing in the structure. This is where the cost of labor comes into play, as well as in the next few phases when your contractors do the exterior and interior finishes.
- Exterior finishing. The exterior finishing phase includes everything that needs to happen in order to close the structure in from the outside. The cost of this will include exterior wall finishing, window and door installation, roof installation, and other components of your home’s exterior.
- Plumbing, electrical, and HVAC installation. Once the exterior structure of your home has been built, you can hire a plumber, electrician, and HVAC specialist to install these vital systems. This will take up a major chunk of your budget, especially if you want the installations done right so you don’t run into costly issues down the road.
- Interior finishing. The interior finishing phase is where you’ll spend most of your money, as this includes everything from insulation and drywall installation to hanging doors, installing trim, painting the rooms, hooking up light fixtures, and installing countertops, cabinets, flooring, appliances, and more.
- Finishing touches. The remainder of your budget can be spent on interior design elements, such as mirrors and custom furniture, as well as other elements of your property, like landscaping, patio and/or deck installations, and driveway concrete pouring.
Build A Custom Home In Tallahassee With Vanguard North
Ready to get started on your custom home building project? Contact our general contractor at Vanguard North to get started!